In order to graduate, you must complete some components that are not covered in your regular classes. These are covered in GRAD PREP (Graduation Preparation) class.
1. Complete 20 hours of Community Service. Check the Community Service Guidelines to see what qualifies. Then, when you complete the hours, fill out a Community Service Form and submit it to the office to get your hours logged. This must be done BEFORE you can do the Job Shadow component.
2. Complete your High School and Beyond plan at My School Data (make sure to choose Ocean Beach School District in the drop-down menu). You log in using your Skyward user ID and password.
3. Then you can start your 15-hour Job Shadow. Based upon your future career preferences, locate a professional in your desired career field. Fill out a Job Shadow Contract and give to Ms. Schimelpfenig, the Job Shadow Coordinator. She will send paperwork to your chosen mentor so they can have a background check performed. BACKGROUND CHECKS MUST BE PERFORMED EVERY YEAR, so even if your mentor hosted a job shadow last year, they must complete a new form. (If you want to job shadow at Ocean Beach Hospital or Clinic, their process is a little different from ours in that they require more steps. Talk to Ms. Schimelpfenig for more information.)
4. Once your mentor is approved, you can do your 15 hours. Check the Job Shadow Analysis handout for information on what to do on the job site.
5. When your Job Shadow is complete, give your mentor the Job Shadow Mentor Evaluation so they can account for your hours and comment on your performance on the job site.
6. Then, complete your Job Shadow Analysis Assignment and turn in to your Grad Prep teacher!